Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Be cool, stay in school...

Somehow Erin, John and I got on the subject of grammar and the correct use of the word it and its and it's. I thought I had it all figured out...turns out I have been using the wrong form of the possessive its for a good portion of my life...for the record...Here's the rule.
Its or It's?
Its is the
possessive pronoun; it modifies a noun.
It's is a
contraction of it is or it has.
Incorrect: The mother cat carried it's kitten in it's mouth. (Possessive pronoun, no apostrophe)
Correct: The mother cat carried its kitten in its mouth.
Correct: I think it's going to rain today. (Contraction of it is)
Correct: It's been a very long time. (Contraction of it has)

A little grammar lesson now and again never hurt anyone...this little tidbit totally rocked my world. Thanks for opening my eyes, guys!

No comments: